Featured Post

Black Reconstruction by W. E. B. Du Bois

My first post here is of course a Goodreads review, but one of my favorite and the only one that won't show-up on the book's entry p...

Monday, August 3, 2020

Talking bout the Moving Pictures

I'm teaching myself to write about film now. I've been a movie-lover and a cinephile for a long time, but never entertained the idea of being able to talk seriously about film. I have devoted much of my critical-thinking and analysis skills at literature and other things. But in the last few years, especially since joining Instagram and posting about movies I like, I have developed a foundation-level on being able to talk about films seriously. Og course, my exposure over the last decade or so to the Criterion Collection, Mark Cousins' The Story of Film documentary, and the film criticism of Jame Baldwin has given me certain tools and a blueprint. It has become obvious though that my peers weren't going to do well in helping to be good at this. They can barely offer intellectual challenge or stimulation on the literature front so movies would be out-of-the-question. I have spent the last 3 years trying to find a community to talk seriously for books after the intellectual well at Goodreads tried-up, but I've been looking for love in the wrong place. It's most-likely hopeless that I will find people who will love literature. movies, the arts, or the social sciences and humanities as much as me. So in the meantime I have decided to teach myself film criticism the same way I am teaching myself literary criticism. I still read books, but I am focusing the majority of my intellectual skills elsewhere at the moment--specifically on film. I need a challenge and here it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment