Featured Post

Black Reconstruction by W. E. B. Du Bois

My first post here is of course a Goodreads review, but one of my favorite and the only one that won't show-up on the book's entry p...

Thursday, August 20, 2020

My Goodreads Review of Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Vol. 15: Daybreak And First Light by Koyoharu Gotouge

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Vol. 15: Daybreak And First LightDemon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Vol. 15: Daybreak And First Light by Koyoharu Gotouge
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

So much going on here; I'll spoiler-tag my thoughts on the story here and then give my general thoughts on the title overall:

view spoiler -- you'll have to go to Goodreads to see this.

I've wondered for awhile why this title takes place during the Taishō era as opposed to the Meiji period or late-Edo period. I think it may be a meta-commentary on modernity, but I'm not sure. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba could be my favorite manga right now if not for the art and story-pacing. The Promised Neverland (which share the same publisher) still edges it out at both. The pacing was actually a little better here, but only by a slim-margin. Koyoharu Gotouge handles the art and story of the manga, so you can't argue that the decompressed story is the fault of differences with the creative team, but still the story is good even if it is obvious the author is writing for the trades. I'm glad I won't have to wait long for the next volume (yes I'm trying to read the English translation for this title the right way unlike the rest of the reviewers of this book (though some of y'all might be reading the actual licensed-translated chapter releases).

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment